My high school does a “pink hawk” football game where people in the community can sponsor jerseys to commemorate family members that have lost their battle with cancer, or for people who have survived or are currently battling cancer. All of the players wear pink jerseys with the sponsored name on them. Before the game, the cancer survivors or the ones who lost their battle’s family members are introduced with the player who is playing for them. At the end of the game, the players take off their jerseys and give them to their sponsors. The game is a really big deal in my community, and this year it was an even bigger deal for me and my family, because we just recently lost my grandmother to breast cancer.
That game was the main reason I came home this weekend. It was good to be home, but at the same time it was sad because of what the reason was. Being at the pink hawk festivities was fun until they started the walk before the football game. I broke down. I was crying so hard, and it made me want to leave. We were going to sponsor a jersey this year for my grandma, but we decided not to because we didn’t think that our family would be able to deal with it yet. I’m really glad we decided not to, because my mom and I had a hard enough time and I can’t imagine how hard it would have been for my grandpa.
I’m riding back up with my friend Manny who went to high school with me. He’s quite the character, but ya gotta love him.
Only 21/2 more hours and I'll be back =D
No comments:
Post a Comment