Thursday, December 27, 2012

Reality Check

So I've realized that I'm a horrible blogger. All of my followers probably realized this a long time ago, and for that I'm sorry.

I really wanted to update this blog every week because I think it would be cool to be able to document my life in college, but to be honest with you I just never think about it. There are so many times where I was sitting in my dorm with nothing to do, but I never thought to update my blog.

Anyway, on to the actual like college stuff haha.

I screwed up REALLY bad my first semester. I was more focused on my social life than my grades, and it showed. I went into the semester thinking that I would be able to treat college like high school and bullshit my way through everything. Before you start thinking that I was a slacker, let me just say that I graduated with a 3.78 and I got a 29 on my ACT.

Technically speaking, I did slack a lot because I put things off until the last minute and only did the work that I had to, but I was able to get good grades because I found high school really easy. I found out – too late – that I couldn’t treat college the same way. I thought that I would be able to go out every weekend and party or do whatever and still find the time to study and keep my grades up. I did fine for the first couple of weeks, but then I started slipping. My test grades started getting worse, and my ambition to do anything was too.

Let me tell you right now: I know that partying sounds fun and like the thing that every college student does, but make sure you don't let it get out of hand. I wouldn't say that my partying was out of hand, because I was still going to class and doing the work, but it definitely took it's toll.

After I saw my GPA for this semester I cried. I was so upset about how bad that I did because I've always done really well. In high school I was an A and B student, but my first semester I was a C student. I've never gotten a C in a class in my life! And I didn't just get Cs, in my math class I got a D. That means that I have to retake the class to go on to the next one.

Now I don't want you to think that it was just the partying that made my grades so bad. Yes it played a roll in it, but there were some other things too. I don't know if any of you have heard of ratemyprofessor.com (it's awesome, check it out if you haven't), but 2 out of my 3 professors were called GPA killers by people on the site. I'm not trying to make excuses or anything, but if a lot of people say that I think my professors deserve a little bit of the blame.

I came out of this semester with a 1.85 GPA. To anybody that's horrible, but the credit balance of my classes had something to do with it. When I started the semester I was taking fourteen credits, but because of a problem with one of my professors, I had to drop one of my credits. That took me down to ten credits.

After I dropped the class I had three classes: A one credit class, a four credit class, and a five credit class. In my one credit class I got a B, in my five credit class I got a C, and in my four credit class I got a D. So technically I only got one C and one D, but because of the way classes are with credits and such it's like I got five Cs and four Ds.

The one good thing is that I'll be taking more credits next semester, so hopefully I'll do better and I'll be able to bring my GPA up significantly.

So, on a lighter note: It's almost the new year! This past year I made a new year's resolution to not drink pop the entire year. Besides a few accidents where I grabbed the wrong glass or took a drink of something that I didn't know had pop in it, I lasted the whole year. I'm really proud of myself for sticking with it (it's the first time I've ever actually stuck with a new year's resolution), and I've decided to make another resolution this year.

This year my new year's resolution is going to be a lot harder than this past year. I'm going to try not to eat fast food, stop partying so much (not entirely because I think a little partying is fine), and get better grades. That's a lot, but I think I can do it. The hardest one is going to be the fast food because Taco Bell is one of my favorite late night drunk snacks. I'm also going to try to work out and update this blog more. I really want to get in shape because I'm going to try to get on the soccer team next fall, and I also really want to document my college experience. Hopefully I'll be able to stick with everything, but we'll see. =)

1 comment: