Saturday, August 18, 2012

Getting Ready

Since I just decided to make this blog and am moving in in a week, I'm not really going to cover the whole applying to college process and all that. I know that it's a huge part of college or whatever, but I have a horrible memory so I don't think my recollection of what I went through would be the greatest. I'll just start with orientation and the dorm shopping experience...

The summer after my senior year, I had to work an internship for a program that I was in during high school. This meant working from 8-4:30 Monday through Friday for almost six weeks. In other words, I had an extremely short amount of time to get ready to move out. I did however take a day off for orientation.

I had always imagined orientation being a huge deal. Like I would go there and meet a ton of new people and start to make friends. In reality, it was very structured and I didn't really meet anyone. I got there at 8 o'clock that morning, checked in, took my picture for my ID, sat through a presentation, signed up for classes and then left. I did go to orientation the same day as my roommate, so I got to hang out with her.

I guess I should probably explain my roommate situation... Me and my friend Kelsey from school are going to be rooming together. We've been playing soccer together since we were about 6 years old, and we're going to be majoring in the same thing (Forensic Biology). It works out really well because we'll be taking a lot of the same classes so we can help each other out with stuff. I'm also really looking forward to knowing my roommate beforehand because we don't have to worry about getting along or anything.

Anyway...

Before we even went in to sign up for classes, the people at Ferris picked out certain classes for us that we couldn't change. I already had my Chemistry, Biology, and Math class taken care of, but then they made us sign up for an additional 2 classes. Once I signed up for those 2 classes, I had a total of 17 credit hours which is a ton. There is no way I am going to be able to keep up with 17 credit hours in my first semester of college, so I am definitely dropping one of my classes as soon as I can. Once I drop the class I will have 14 credit hours which I think is much more manageable than 17.

Once orientation was over, Kelsey and I started talking about our dorm. We had to sign up for a room assignment before we went to orientation, so we already knew who our suite mates were going to be and what hall we were in. The only things we had to deal with were our beds and everything else we wanted to put in our room.

We decided that we wanted to loft our beds, and we wanted them to look awesome. Instead of buying the loft kit from Ferris (which was super expensive) Kelsey's dad just went to Lowe's and bought the stuff we needed and we're going to put it together ourselves. We also got some awesome colored paint (lime green and blue) instead of just lame wood stain. We have everything figured out (like who is going to bring what) and now the only thing we have to look forward to is actually moving in.

Because of my short summer (and limited budget), I haven't really done very extensive shopping for college. Most of the things that I bought for my dorm came from Dollar General or Meijer. I think the thing that I am most excited about that I bought is my laundry hamper. That sounds really lame, but it's pretty cool. Instead of getting an actual hamper, I got this thing that's like a backpack. That way I don't have to lug a stupid hamper down to the laundry room. I can just put all my stuff I need in this, put it on my back and head down there... way easier than the other way....

Okay. So I guess I wouldn't say that's what I'm most excited about, but hey, it's pretty cool.

I've gotten almost all of my dorm shopping done. All I have left to get is a mirror, a fan, and my hair dryer and straightener. (I have a younger sister so she's going to keep the ones that I used before and I get to get new ones =] )

It's getting down to the last few days, and I'm getting pretty anxious. I can't wait to move in and get away from my annoying little sister. (she's only a year younger than me and we are total opposites so we never get along)

No comments:

Post a Comment